Once we settled into the space it was clear that although the home was a great space (especially with the barn connected) the kitchen ell was in need of repair. The more we lived in the house the more the floor wiggled. Stomping across the floor shook everything in the room and when we had family gatherings we did worry that at some point we would all fall through the floor! (which didn't happen!). I wanted to save the ell but Mr. Meanie wanted to tear it down. Obviously he won that argument and we started a 2 year long project that would change our home and our family (since during that time we also welcomed baby #2). (for background check out: Timberframe 1, My Valentine, Sill, It Has Begun!, Raising the Frame, And although it is very close to completion we have found that all of the smaller interior/exterior projects are harder to complete. I know that Mr. Meanie is experiencing a little burn out from this venture and all of the finishing work is easy to ignore since we are very happy with what has already been completed.
I did my best at showing a comparison of what we had and what we now have. It wasn't easy since the interior is completely different. Our sink now faces the backyard and in the old kitchen it faced a side wall. The space is a little wider since we no longer have a closed in sun porch on the front. And, of course, I have a sewing room. I use to have my sewing room in the "formal dining room" area but since it was in the middle of our home activity Audrey would always get into my stuff. We still have a lot of idea on how to better organize my sewing space since I have A LOT of fabric and notions in totes and bags everywhere...But more on my sewing room later!!
We were going for open, airy, and light. I think we were successful especially with the larger windows, glass front cabinetry and the vaulted timberframe ceiling. As you remember, Mr. Meanie harvested Spruce from our property, Alaska Chain Saw milled it in the back yard during many a' blizzard (and flu), hand chiseled all the notches and grooves in the beams, and we had a large party of friends and family help us erect the beams 2 summers ago. Phew! And that was just the beginning of the work and we were very fortunate to find a few awesome helpers to finish it up with us. Perhaps to some it seemed like a hassle to help out but we hope that many had a good experience raising a timberframe. Structures are not built like this now-a-days so it is likely that many will never do it again. We were happy that everyone was able to share in the experience with us.
We added a hallway to the barn and along that hallway are doors to the tiny bathroom, my sewing room, and the basement. I love our tiny bathroom... so cute! Before we had a larger bathroom off the kitchen (which was located near the kitchen table... a little awkward).